Saturday, September 29, 2007

The Building Where I Work


This is the building where I work. I’m assigned here from August 13th – November 16th. Over the years I must have passed it hundreds of times and never took notice. I drove here the day before starting so as not to have a problem arriving on time during rush hour traffic.

One of my concerns about working for the Mesa United Way was the possibility they represent an agency that goes contrary to Christ’s teachings. So before volunteering I checked out to make sure there were no connections to agencies that destroy life or are destructive to the fabric of the traditional family. I also checked for what agencies were absent. That can sometimes tell more about the philosophic underpinnings of a group than what they do support. After a rigorous evaluation, I’m able to give my hardy approval of the MUW.


During my initial first week of training I learned the uniqueness of this organization. First, they are solely focused on the Mesa Community and its problems. Second, they are independent. They set their own agenda and their partnering agencies. Third, 100% of the donations go directly to the agencies and programs; none is siphoned off into administrative overhead. That’s because a number of leading companies in the Mesa area believe strongly enough in the MUW to underwrite that expense. Finally, they do comprehensive planning, evaluation and assessments on the health and human services needs of the community. Then under the direction of a group of volunteers from every walk of life in Mesa, the MUW distributes the monies for maximum long-term affect.

1 comment:

Heather@Cultivated Lives said...

wow, dad! Thanks for giving us a peak into your new, but temporary, work environment. I feel like I know what you do and who you work with and for much better!